Asus ROG Phone II Android 10 beta firmware now up for grabs (Download link inside)
Asus started rolling out the stable Android 10 update in early November. This was to the ZenFone 6 aka Asus 6z, the company’s current flagship handset.
A couple or so weeks later, the same update arrived on the ZenFone 5Z from the previous year. In between, the Taiwanese company also started recruiting beta testers for the ROG Phone II Android 10 update.
Over a month later, the first ROG Phone II Android 10 beta firmware has popped up online. It’s the official firmware that isn’t coming directly from Asus, but we all know how the internet can be.
The update is arriving as software version 17.0210.1912.22 and weighs in at over 1GB. Below is a summary of the changes it brings to the ROG Phone 2.
1. Upgraded system to Android 10.
2. Support Google Play system update.
3. Removed Go2Pay and tags ability in Gallery.
4. Support more Aura system lighting scenarios when mounting Lighting Armor Case.
5. Added advanced settings to brightness bar on the Quick Settings panel.
6. Applied Call-Exclusive mode system-wide. Removed the related setting from Armoury Crate.
7. Added a setting to change the style of power button menu.
8. Added fully gestural navigation in Display setting.
9. Support Android 10 Dark Theme.
10. Added “Suggested actions and replies” in notifications’ advanced setting.
11. No pinned notification when System lighting is turned on for Music.
12. Changed the add Wi-Fi network design.
After the update, Asus warns that some third-party apps won’t be compatible with Android 10, but they should be updated to support the new OS pretty soon. Also, the “Gestures on dark screen” will be turned off after system upgrade.
Depending on the data size, the dark screen after rebooting the ROG Phone II may last about 30 seconds before the start-up animation appears on the screen. Please be patient.
Below are the other known issues in the ROG Phone II Android 10 beta firmware:
1. When in the game scenario and answer the phone call, user will not hear the sound and cut off the call after 30 seconds later.
2. Can not open the icon manager and showing “System UI has stopped”
3. When you install Avast.apk don’t have any scan notice.
4. Working with twinview dock and open one of a app on the phone side then press twinview side panel recent key. The phone side will back home screen.
5. When using DT Dock or twinview or Pro dock to play Netflix will keep portrait mode and only show subtitle.
Just like the ZenFone 6 Android 10 update, some ROG Phone 2 owners say the new Android 10 update trips Play Protect, meaning no Google Pay services for you if you jump on board.
Gpay is not working
CTS doesn’t pass on this version. Hence done apps like gpay may not work
On the brighter side, though, someone else says the red tint in the display is now gone after updating to Android 10 beta.
Wow it’s amazing. The red tint gone and it’s way too smooth
But we can’t say the same about the PS4 DualShock controller issue just yet, although Asus promised to address it with the ROG Phone II Android 10 update.
If interested to try the ROG Phone II Android 10 beta, the firmware is right below. For now, it’s unclear if this firmware will work on all WW models or whether its a closed beta firmware for select few.
- Device: Asus ROG Phone II
- Codename: ZS660KL
- Channel: Global (WW) Beta
- Version: 17.0210.1912.22
- Android: 10
- Type: FOTA
- Download: Link
- Type: FOTA
To install the firmware, first rename the downloaded file above to UL-ASUS_I001_1-ASUS-16.0631.1912.22-1.1.227-user.zip then put it in the root of internal storage and restart the phone. For more queries or further help on this, check out this XDA thread.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.