Poco F1 Pie update included Ambient Display by mistake, touch issue fix rolled back as well
Update (January 18):
New update for Poco F1 has been announced. Does it bring Widevine L1? Check out the story here.
Update (January 14):
Are you waiting for the Poco F1 Widevine L1 support, well, here’s why you shouldn’t get your hopes too high.
Update (January 08):
Team Poco has confirmed some important details related to Poco F1 bugs/issues and new features. The battery drain and touch issues have been fixed internally and will be available in next update. In addition, features like 960FPS slo-mo and Night mode are coming as well.
The company has also confirmed the 4K 60FPS recording feature is coming, and have asked for details from those facing PUBG issues. Catch the complete story here.
Update (December 29):
Poco F1 Widevine L1 support gets delayed, 4K 60FPS recording in final testing. Check out latest Poco F1 feedback shared by the company here.
Update (December 26):
Next stable Poco F1 pie update is coming soon, will fix battery drain and other issues. Details here.
Update (December 18):
Touch is fixed in beta, will be in the next stable. Working on improving battery life as well.
— Alvin Tse (@atytse) December 15, 2018
Update (December 17):
More problems -> Xiaomi has confirmed they are aware of missing notch hide option and battery drain issues on Poco F1 after the Android Pie update. Complete story here.
Original story follows:
As you might already know, the stable Android Pie update for Xiaomi’s Poco F1 smartphone is already out. While it’s definitely good news for Poco owners who have been waiting for the update, the company has now revealed some important information related to the update.
Ambient Display option got added by mistake
First up, if you were surprised to notice the inclusion of Ambient Display option in your Poco F1’s settings after the Pie update, Xiaomi has clarified that happened by mistake. Here’s what a member of the company’s MIUI team said regarding this:
We are sorry to inform you that we mistakenly included the “Ambient display” option in the Settings
For those who aren’t aware, the option can be accessed by heading to Settings > Display. Ambient Display option is designed for OLED screens, and is hence incompatible with POCO F1’s LCD screen. Xiaomi says the option will be removed in the coming updates.
Touch issue fix rolled back
Next up, the touch issue fix included in the POCO F1 pie update has been rolled back as well. The company says they did this after a critical issue came to their notice. Here’s what exactly they said on this:
The change is rollbacked as we found a critical issue after including it into stable version. We will release the fixed version ASAP
So effectively, the Poco F1 Android Pie update includes the following changes:
- Add Google Lens support
- Fix settings for turning off screen automatically couldn’t be used
- Fix microphone didn’t work after earphones had been connected
- Fix Issues with Android Auto
Other Poco F1 related updates
Xiaomi has also shared latest updates on other Poco F1 features/bug fixes they’ve been working on. Here’s the crux of what all they shared in this regard:
- Issue with ‘Ok Google’ not working in some cases is still being worked on
- Widevine L1 support (required for, say, HD Netfilx) will be available in beta sometime this quarter
- Xiaomi has plans to bring Face unlock support for apps – a solution is currently being researched on
- Support for 4K 60FPS recording is still in works
- Option to let 3rd party apps use full screen display is in works
- Support for app badges with notification count is in works
- Support for recording native sounds when using screen recorder is also in works
Following is the list of issues that have been resolved or features that have implemented:
- Night mode support and 1080P 960 FPS slow-motion is now available in open beta
- Poco Launcher now supports Dark mode feature. Plus, support for customized app icon size and desktop grid has also been added to the launcher.
- Issue with battery icon getting displayed with wrong pattern during charging has been resolved. Fix currently available in development version
- Compatibility issues with Asphalt 8 and 9 have been fixed
- Issue with Time and Weather overlapping on the notification tray has also been resolved
- Regarding the ‘Status bar – no notifications app icons display‘ issue, Xiaomi says “Finished. Please try on the beta version (MIUI 10 Global 8.10.17). You can turn on this feature like ‘Settings-Notifications & Status bar-Show Icons for incoming notifications.’ The App icons will display in 2 scenarios: after unlock the phone or receive the notifications.“
It’s good to see Xiaomi offering regular progress updates when it comes to their sub-brand Poco. If they continue like this, Poco is bound to give some serious competition to the likes of OnePlus.
PiunikaWeb is a unique initiative that mainly focuses on investigative journalism. This means we do a lot of hard work to come up with news stories that are either ‘exclusive,’ ‘breaking,’ or ‘curated’ in nature. Perhaps that’s the reason our work has been picked by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and more. Do take a tour of our website to get a feel of our work. And if you like what we do, stay connected with us on Twitter (@PiunikaWeb) and other social media channels to receive timely updates on stories we publish.