[Rolling out in US] LG Q7 & Q7+ Android Pie (9.0) update arrives in Korea, global rollout in tow
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
LG has been raining Android 9 Pie updates in the past week or so. It all started with the hint that LG V20 Android Pie is nearing release after the device appeared on Android Enterprise website with Pie on board.
A few days later, Verizon Wireless opened the show with an update that brought Android Pie to the LG V30 ThinQ mid this month. Soon after, folks in Australia and India started receiving the Pie update on their V30 ThinQ handsets as well.
Just yesterday, it was all smiles as the LG G6 Android Pie update finally started hitting units in Europe and Verizon Wireless. Despite the long wait, Canadian owners of the LG V30 also started receiving the Pie update this week as well.
As of this writing, LG is rolling out a similar Android Pie update to the LG Q7 and LG Q7+ in its home country of South Korea. The incoming LG Q7 Pie update is targeting carrier variants in the country, that is, LG U+, SK, and SKT.
Both devices are receiving the same software version V20a and the latest Android security patches to go with it. The changelog is also the same across the board, as shared below:
– Pie OS upgrade
– Gesture home button function has been added.
– Drag the home button up to see your recent history, or drag left or right to switch to recently used apps.
– Added a setting to always adjust the media volume when pressing the volume button.
– Preview is provided at the bottom right when capturing screen.
– Screen recording function has been added.
– Added battery saving feature.
– You can set whether to run each app background.
– Screen rotation button is provided in the home touch button area when screen rotation is required.
– Improved security so that you can turn off the power after unlocking.
– Added lock icon display setting for added security.
– Press and hold the power button to stop Smart Lock, biometrics and lock screen notifications when the lock is executed.
– When auto-brightness is set, the user can learn the brightness control pattern and set the brightness automatically.
– “Sunset to Sunrise” setting has been added to the viewable mode.
– You can manage the folder access and Wi-Fi control permissions of the app.
– SD card encryption removes the limitation that the screen lock can only be set by PIN or password.
– Fixed the placement of the home screen so that the location of apps and widgets on the home screen does not change regardless of the user’s intention.
But what about the global LG Q7 Pie update? You may ask. Well, according to My LG Phones, the global variants of the Q7 and Q7+ should also be upgraded to Android Pie in the near future. Or at least the latter will get updated based on a listing on Android Enterprise website.
The updated listing shows the LG Q7+ has Android 9 Pie on board yet we know the device came preinstalled with Android Oreo. This is enough evidence that the Q7+ will indeed receive Pie outside Korea, that is including the U.S.
As for when exactly the global LG Q7 Pie update will begin rolling out, only LG has the answer to that. However, given the recent rate at which LG devices are receiving Pie updates, we won’t be surprised if the rollout begins within a couple or so weeks.
Update (October 24)
Android 9 Pie update has finally arrived for the Spectrum and Xfinity mobile variants of LG Stylo 4 and T-Mobile and Metro variants of LG Q7 Plus. Details here.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.