Pocophone F1/Poco F1 MIUI 12.5 update looks likely now that Xiaomi Mi 8 has bagged the new skin (Download link inside)
Xiaomi has recently started rolling out the stable version of MIUI 12.5 update to the Chinese variant of the Xiaomi Mi 8 handset.
Released in 2018 powered by MIUI 9 based on Android Oreo out of the box, the Mi 8 is now receiving the updated MIUI 12.5 based on Android 10.
Of course, those who closely follow PiunikaWeb will be quick to know this isn’t a surprise by any means. That the Mi 8 would bag the MIUI 12.5 update was already known to us.
But what remains unclear amid all the greatness that Mi 8 users are experiencing is whether the Poco F1 aka Pocophone F1 will also be upgraded to MIUI 12.5 update.
In case you are a little lost as to why the Poco F1 is showing up in the same sentence as the Mi 8. Well, the two have the same Snapdragon 845, which means they share the same kernel source code.
What having the same kernel source code means is that, basically, the devices share the same base software. In short, you only need minor tweaks to the Mi 8’s software to make it run on the Poco F1.
This means no need for building the update from scratch, a process that needs time and resources that may not be available owing to the age of the phone.
With this in mind, I can’t think of any reason the Poco F1 shouldn’t receive the MIUI 12.5 update.
In early February, Xiaomi Indonesia boss cast some doubt on the availability of the update on the Poco F1. But the tables quickly turned a few days later after Poco India support claimed the update was in the works.
Until now, we didn’t have any solid hint of the possibility of Xiaomi rolling out the Poco F1 MIUI 12.5 update. But with the release of the same to the Mi 8, it looks more likely.
As noted earlier, the Mi 8 is receiving the update in China, with the global rollout expected to follow suit sooner or later. It’s only after the global rollout begins that Poco F1 users can expect some further news on this.
Owners of the China variant of the Mi 8 can grab the manual download link below. For the rest, be sure to keep checking our MIUI 12.5 update tracker for the latest news.
- Device: Xiaomi Mi 8
- Codename: dipper
- Channel: China Stable
- Version: 126.96.36.199.QEACNXM
- Android: 10
- Type: Recovery
- Download: Link
- Type: Recovery
Below is a summary of the changelog:
– MIUI 12.5. Yours alone.
– New: Response to gestures is now instant.
– New: With 20 times more rendering power, there are now few limits to what you can see on your screen.
– New: With custom device model adjustments, any phone becomes faster after the upgrade.
– Optimization: MIUI became lighter, faster, and more durable.
– Updated Android Security Patch to May 2021. Increased system security.
– New: Nature mix is a new exciting way of creating your own notification sound system.
– New: Hundreds of system sounds that represent animals from all around the world.
– New: Stereo system sounds.
– New: Now you can see what apps access your clipboard and control access.
– New: Using approximate location adds up points to privacy protection.
– New: You can now manage sensitive permissions and related app behavior independently.
– New: The behavior of web pages is also tracked now, which helps you to block unwanted and malicious actions.
– New: Now it’s up to you who and when can track your online behavior.
– New: All apps now come with a security statement from GetApps.
– New: Privacy risk scanner.
– New: Control which apps access and delete items from your Gallery.
– New: A comprehensive overview of all sensitive permissions.
– New: You’ll be notified whenever high-risk permissions are used and will be able to block the corresponding actions.
– Optimization: An all-new privacy protection page.
– New: Compose mind maps with complex structures.
– New: New tools for doodling and sketching.
– New: Press and hold a sketch to adjust the strokes automatically.
– New: A gesture shortcut now allows you to create notes, tasks, and excerpts anywhere.
– New: Excerpts save text, URLs, and images to Notes in a few simple taps.
– New: Dynamic layouts make bring the typography in Notes to a new level.
– All-new Notes.
– New: Convert images to PDF.
– New: Password manager allows you to store passwords in the cloud.
– New: You can share device location with other people in your family sharing group.
– New: Location information can be recorded automatically before the device powers off.
– New: A more convenient way to move a cursor using the scrollbar.
– New: Function buttons support switching between languages and keyboards.
– New: You can press and hold the function buttons to access more features.
– New: Custom themes for keyboards.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.