[Updated] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 & Galaxy J8 Android 10 (One UI 2.1) update rolling out
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
Original story (published on July 14, 2020) follows:
Samsung usually takes around a year to release an Android version update to all eligible phones and tablets. The company recently pushed out the Android 10 update for the Galaxy M30s in India. Of course, there are still a few more devices in line for the software update.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 and Galaxy J8 also known as the Galaxy On8 in India were expected to receive the update soon. Well, the wait for it is now over since the Galaxy J8 is now receiving the One UI 2.0 update and the Galaxy Tab A 10.5 is getting the One UI 2.1 update.
This new software version is rolling out in Russia for the Galaxy J8/On8. On the other hand, Galaxy Tab A 10.5 users in UK and Korea are also receiving the Android 10 update. Moreover, a Galaxy Tab A 10.5 user confirmed that the update has indeed arrived.
The build number for the Galaxy J8/On8 is J810FPUU4CTG3 and it comes with the July 1, 2020 security patch. The build number for the Galaxy Tab A 10.5 is T590XXU3CTF9 and it also comes with the July 1, 2020 security patch. Earlier, we reported that the Galaxy J8 was expected to receive the update in August.
Galaxy J8 users in Russia who haven’t received the Android 10 OTA update can download and install the update manually from here. Both devices share a similar update changelog that you can see below:
– Enhanced image, text, and color adjustments for day and night environments.
– Darkened wallpapers, widgets, and alarms while Dark mode is on.
Icons and colors
– Clearer app icons and system colors.
– Improved layouts for titles and buttons to eliminate wasted screen space.
– Enhanced animations with a playful touch.
Full screen gestures
– Added new navigation gestures.
– Navigate more comfortably on large screens with minimal finger movement.
– Easily focus on what matters with clearly highlighted buttons.
– High contrast keyboards and layouts for large text have been improved.
– Listen to live speech and display it as text.
Better text over wallpapers
– See text more clearly against wallpaper, as One UI automatically adjusts font colors based on light and dark areas and color contrast in the image below.
Media and devices
– Replaced the SmartThings panel with the Media and Devices.
– Media: Control music and videos playing on your tablet as well as other devices.
– Devices: Check and control your SmartThings devices directly from the quick panel.
– The battery usage graph now provides more detailed information.
– Set goals to keep your tablet usage in check.
– Use Focus mode to help avoid distractions from your tablet.
– Keep an eye on your kids with new parental controls.
– Added the ability to edit the modes that appear at the bottom of the screen.
– Provided a More tab so you can quickly access hidden modes from the preview screen.
– Improved the layout so you can focus on taking pictures without the settings getting in the way.
– Customize the quick menu to get instant access to the features you use the most.
– Get more information from the app bar.
– Install add-ons from the Galaxy Store to get even more features.
– Added Trash feature for Contacts. Contacts that you delete will stay in the trash for 15 days before being deleted forever.
– Stickers can be added to a date without creating an event.
– Ringtones can be used for event alerts.
– More options are available for repeating reminders.
– Set location-based reminders for a specific period of time.
– Share reminders with your family group and other sharing groups.
– Set reminders for a specific date without an alert.
– Created a Trash feature so you can restore files if you delete something by mistake.
– Added more filters you can use while searching to help you find things quickly.
– You can now copy or move multiple files and folders to different destinations at the same time.
We expect to see the update rollout to other regions. However, it might take a few weeks or months for it to be available in all regions. Samsung also released the latest One UI 2.1 update for the S9 series and Note 9 recently.
Now that the Galaxy Tab A 10.5 and Galaxy J8 or Galaxy On8 have received the Android 10 OS, Samsung can shift its focus on other devices in line for the update. You can check out our One UI 2.0/2.1 update tracker to know when it arrives on your phone or tab.
Update 1 (July 21)
The One UI 2.0 update based on Android 10 is now live for the Galaxy On8 in India. It also brings along the July security patch for the device.
Thanks for the tip Nidhin!
Update 2 (September 09)
IST 02:48 pm: Verizon has announced that it has begun rolling out the Android 10 update for the Galaxy Tab A 10.5. The update also brings the August 2020 security patch to the tab and bears the build number CTH1.
Note: This article has been updated to reflect the update was to One UI 2.1 and not One UI 2.0 update for the Galaxy Tab A 10.5 as reported initially.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.