[Updated] Samsung Android security updates: List of devices getting monthly, quarterly, or biannual updates
Original story (published on July 14, 2021) follows:
So far, Samsung has been doing a pretty good job holding on to its word as eligible devices are still getting the update to Android 11. Hopefully, the OEM will hold stick with its Android 12 update as well.
However, since the OEM has a vast catalogue of Android devices, it is not feasible to equally distribute security updates. This is why its devices receive security updates on a monthly, quarterly, and biannual basis.
While the OEM currently has a lot of models in the monthly, quarterly, and biannual brackets, the lists are subject to change over time.
This further means that devices that are currently in the monthly bracket may move to quarterly or biannual bracket as they reach the end of their software support cycle.
So, let’s take a look at all the devices from Samsung’s monthly, quarterly, and biannual security update brackets:
Models for Monthly Updates
– Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Fold 5G, Galaxy Z Fold2, Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Galaxy Z Fold3 5G, Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Z Flip 5G, Galaxy Z Flip3 5G
– Galaxy S10 Lite
– Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 5G, Galaxy S20+, Galaxy S20+ 5G, Galaxy S20 Ultra, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 FE, Galaxy S20 FE 5G, Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy S21+ 5G, Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S21 FE 5G, Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22+, Galaxy S22 Ultra
– Galaxy Note10, Galaxy Note10 5G, Galaxy Note10+, Galaxy Note10+ 5G, Galaxy Note10 Lite, Galaxy Note20,
– Galaxy Note20 5G, Galaxy Note20 Ultra, Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
– Enterprise Models: Galaxy A52, Galaxy A52 5G, Galaxy A52s 5G, Galaxy A53 5G, Galaxy XCover4s, Galaxy Xcover FieldPro, Galaxy Xcover Pro, Galaxy Xcover5
Models for Quarterly Updates
– Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S10 5G
– Galaxy Note 9
– Galaxy A40
– Galaxy A01 Core, Galaxy A21, Galaxy A21s
– Galaxy A02, Galaxy A02s, Galaxy A12, Galaxy A22, Galaxy A22 5G, Galaxy A22e 5G, Galaxy A32, Galaxy A32 5G, Galaxy A42 5G, Galaxy A72, Galaxy A82 5G
– Galaxy A03, Galaxy A03s, Galaxy A03 core, Galaxy A13, Galaxy A13 5G, Galaxy A23, Galaxy A33 5G, Galaxy A73 5G
– Galaxy M21 2021, Galaxy M31s, Galaxy M51, Galaxy M12, Galaxy M22, Galaxy M32, Galaxy M32 5G, Galaxy M42 5G, Galaxy M52 5G, Galaxy M62, Galaxy M13, Galaxy M23 5G, Galaxy M33 5G, Galaxy M53 5G
– Galaxy F12, Galaxy F22, Galaxy F42 5G, Galaxy F52 5G, Galaxy F62
– Galaxy Tab A7, Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, Galaxy Tab A8, Galaxy Tab Active Pro, Galaxy Tab Active3
– Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S7+, Galaxy Tab S7 FE, Galaxy Tab S8, Galaxy Tab S8+, Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
– Galaxy W21 5G, W22 5G
– Enterprise Models: Galaxy A50
Models for Biannual Updates
– Galaxy S8 Lite
– Galaxy A6+, Galaxy A7 (2018), Galaxy A8 Star, Galaxy A8s, Galaxy A9 (2018)
– Galaxy A10, Galaxy A10e, Galaxy A10s, Galaxy A20e, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A30, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70, Galaxy A80, Galaxy A90 5G
– Galaxy A11, Galaxy A31, Galaxy A41, Galaxy A51 5G, Galaxy A71 5G
– Galaxy A20s, Galaxy A30s, Galaxy A50s, Galaxy A70s, Galaxy A01, Galaxy A51, Galaxy A71
– Galaxy J4, Galaxy J6, Galaxy J6+, Galaxy J8
– Galaxy M10, Galaxy M10s, Galaxy M20, Galaxy M30, Galaxy M30s, Galaxy M40, Galaxy M01, Galaxy M11, Galaxy M21, Galaxy M31
– Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018), Galaxy Tab A 8 (2019), Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019), Galaxy Tab A with S pen, Galaxy Tab A 8.4 (2020)
– Galaxy Tab S4, Galaxy Tab S5e, Galaxy Tab S6, Galaxy Tab S6 5G
As mentioned earlier, the lists given above will change over time new Samsung devices will come out and old ones will reach the end of their software support cycle.
One of the many factors that might affect the aforementioned lists is the new five years of security updates policy from Samsung.
However, the said policy currently applies only to select premium enterprise models from the OEM.
So, while it is possible that Samsung may also apply the same policy to its standard models, it is still a long shot for the time being.
That said, we will keep tracking this for further development and will update this story as and when Samsung decides to make changes to the said security update brackets.
Update 1 (February 08)
01:59 pm (IST): A new leak suggests that select Galaxy devices may get up to four years of Android OS upgrades along with five years of security patches. And here are the Samsung devices that will have such privilege.
– Galaxy S21 series
– Galaxy S21 FE
– Galaxy S22 series
– Galaxy Tab S8 lineup
– Galaxy Z Flip 3
– Galaxy Z Fold 3
Update 2 (June 9)
11:55 am (IST): Samsung has demoted the Galaxy S10 5G from monthly to quarterly security patches.
In addition, some budget Galaxy phones have also been moved to bi-annual updates which include Galaxy M01, Galaxy A41, and Galaxy A51 5G.
Note: List last updated on June 09, 2022
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.