[Update: May 20] Here's why your OnePlus 8T is missing Bitmoji Always on Display (AoD) option
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
Original story (published on November 04, 2020) follows:
OnePlus 8T is the latest addition to the growing number of OnePlus smartphones. After some criticism with the pricing of the 8 Pro, OnePlus slightly tweaked the 8T’s price while keeping all the bells and whistles.
In fact, the OnePlus 8T comes with faster 65W battery charging, superior UFS 3.1 as opposed to UFS 3.0 on the 8 and 8 Pro as well as support for Always on Display.
Unfortunately, these minor improvements come at the expense of things like wireless charging and reverse wireless charging. As it stands, though, the Always on Display feature is causing havoc among early adopters of the 8T.
[Introducing Always on Display]
You asked for it, and it’s here. By popular demand, real-time information appears while your OnePlus smartphone is asleep. Easy to customize, choose your favorite from standard clocks to smart new designs including Bitmoji, Insight and Canvas.
The statement above can be found on the official OnePlus 8T product page. According to OnePlus, AoD on the 8T lets users pick from standard clock faces and other new designs such as Bitmoji, Canvas and Insight.
As per reports in the official OnePlus community forum, though, it appears that some elements of Always on Display are not present on the 8T out of the box as advertised.
Hi everyone! How to enable my Bitmoji on Always On Display Mode on my OnePlus 8T? I don’t find it! Thanks a lot!
I cannot find the setting to set the bitmoji clock on the lockscreen of my OnePlus 8T. I went to Settings > Customization but it wasn’t there. I was really excited about this feature and its not there :/
As evidenced by the comments above and others in the official forums, the OnePlus 8T AoD element in question here is the Bitmoji clock face. As is, there is no option to set Bitmoji as the AoD clock face.
It is confusing for users to see an advertised feature missing from the device they just purchased. Even worse is that OnePlus did not make this information known to everyone – not even on the product page.
But it appears that some people were able to get hold of useful information regarding this matter – or at least PCMag’s Lead Analyst,
So @OnePlus reached out to me and cleared the air: Bitmoji will NOT be preloaded on the OnePlus 8T and so if you don’t like it, you can pretend it’s not even an option 😉
Apparently, OnePlus 8T does not ship with support for Bitmoji AoD out of the box. As per the limited info above, there is no word on when the feature will be made available.
Seeing that a recent OxygenOS 11 Open Beta update added the support for Canvas AoD to the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro, owners of the 8T can rest assured that Bitmoji AoD support will hit their device at some point via a software update.
As for when exactly this will happen, your guess is as good as ours. But at least now you know why the advertised Bitmoji AoD option is missing from your new and shiny 8T.
Meanwhile, we also have our OnePlus 8T bugs and issues tracker that you can keep an eye on to know their current status.
Update 1 (November 06)
IST 12:06 pm: A OnePlus Community Expert has confirmed that the Bitmoji Always on Display option will be enabled with a forthcoming update for the OnePlus 8T. So users can expect to see the option enabled soon.
Update 2 (February 06)
IST 12:55 pm: A OnePlus community expert has claimed that the Bitmoji Always on Display feature is still under development for the OnePlus 8T. Since the feature was not added with the latest software update, it’s likely users may have to wait another month or more to get the feature.
Update 3 (February 06)
IST 8:55 am: This Bitmoji stickers feature for the always-on-display on the OnePlus 8T has been the topic of discussion for a while now with the feature seemingly not being ready for primetime.
More than a month later and an Open Beta update later, OnePlus 8T users are still unable to take advantage of this feature on their OnePlus 8T devices.
No update for the bitmoji AOD yet even in the open beta. Does OnePlus even remember that they mentioned about bitmoji AOD in the launch event. It’s like 5 months now to the release of the smartphone and still it is under development. I mean, this is so much time to develop just an AOD feature. I think OnePlus has also be become one of those brands who just make fake promises during launch event.
Update 4 (May 20)
IST 10:26 am: OnePlus has added support for Bitmoji AOD on OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro in OxygenOS 11 Open beta 10 update. Still no word on the feature for OnePlus 8T. Does this mean the feature should be coming soon?
IST 07:45 pm: It seems that OnePlus has finally added the Bitmoji AOD support on OnePlus 8T with OxygenOS 11 Open Beta 5. The latest open beta brings along a bunch of improvements and features. Here’s the complete changelog for the same:
– Improved the text display of the Setup Wizard
– Fixed the small probability issue where recording audio with headphones may not work as expected
– Fixed the abnormal display issue with the Setting‘s title when the Freeform Windows is enabled
– Fixed the small probability issue where the status bar displays two SIM cards’ mobile data icons at the same time
– Fixed the small probability issue that some covers of third-party music apps still display as lock screen even the music notification is removed
– Updated Android security patch to 2021.05
– Newly added Bitmoji AOD, co-designed by Snapchat & Bitmoji, which will liven up the ambient display with your personal Bitmoji avatar. Your avatar will update throughout the day based on the condition of date, time, weather and the music listening. (Path: Settings – Customization – Clock on ambient display – Bitmoji)
– Improved the audio experience when the phone is connected with OnePlus watch and OnePlus buds
– Fixed the issue that the call recording list is not updated in time after the system is upgraded
– Fixed the small probability issue that the details page of Contact is not displayed
– Fixed the issue that the calling content is not displayed
– Improved the video preview clarity under 4K 60FPS mode
– the connection stability with OnePlus Buds
– Fixed the small probability issue that the non-default data SIM card in gaming mode can’t get access to 4G network
– Fixed the issue that the nearby Wi-Fi network cannot be switched intelligently
– Fixed the occasional failure to connect to Wi-Fi network
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.