[Update: Open Beta 3 live] OnePlus releases HydrogenOS 11 (Android 11) Public Beta for OnePlus 7 devices, OxygenOS 11 soon?
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
Original story (published on January 17, 2021) follows:
OnePlus was among the very first Android OEMs to hop onto the Android 11 train with the OnePlus 8 series of devices bagging stable Android 11-based OxygenOS 11 about a month after Google’s official unveiling of the new Android version.
Sadly though, the same pace wasn’t exactly translated to the other OnePlus devices. While earlier reports suggested that the OnePlus Nord and OnePlus 7 devices would get updated within 2020, that obviously didn’t materialize.
We came to know that part of the hold up for the development of Android 11-based HydrogenOS 11 for OnePlus 7 series of devices was a decryption issue. That has since been fixed in partnership with Qualcomm and development has been on course since.
Well today, the development and testing of this new skin is hitting a rather important milestone as according to OnePlus, the company is now pushing out Public Beta builds.
This is exciting news as this means that users of OnePlus 7 series of devices (OnePlus 7 Pro and OnePlus 7) running OxygenOS should also expect their respective test builds soon.
Also, this test build is set to give users of these devices a glimpse of all the Android 11 goodness that OnePlus 8T and OnePlus 8 users have been enjoying for months. Some of these changes are outlined in the following changelog.
• Update to the deeply customized hydrogen OS 11 system based on Android 11
• Renew UI visual design, optimize many details, bring more comfortable visual perception
• Optimize the stability of some tripartite applications to improve user experience
• The new version of the camera UI interface optimizes some functional paths and makes the operation more convenient
• Added HEVC high-efficiency video storage format, lossless image quality reduces video storage volume
• Added a preview of the shooting interface to support long-press one-click sharing, direct access to the application you need to share
• Newly added press the capture button to start fast recording, and support sliding this button to zoom and lock quickly during shooting, easy to record without restriction
• Added playback duration display for time-lapse shooting to intuitively grasp the actual content duration
Information screen display
• Added “Time” screen display customized style, which is jointly designed with students of Parsons School of Design, and changes constantly according to the data of mobile phone use time (Setting path: Settings-Personalization-Clock style)
• Newly added shadow painting function, which can automatically draw your lock screen photos into a dedicated wireframe (path: settings-personalization-wallpaper-shadow painting-select photo preview to quickly generate)
• Add shortcut switch to dark mode, pull down the shortcut setting to turn it on
• The dark mode supports the setting of automatic opening and time period (setting path: setting-display-dark mode-automatic opening-according to sunset and sunrise/custom time to open)
Negative one screen
• New negative one-screen interface design, the layout of the section is clear at a glance
• Added weather widget, animation effect is more smart
• Intelligent one-week review function, which can intelligently generate videos according to the material situation to keep good memories
• Optimize the loading speed of the gallery, and the picture preview is faster
Should you want to install these public beta builds on your OnePlus 7 or OnePlus 7T device, below are the download links.
- Device: OnePlus 7
- Channel: HydrogenOS 11 Public Beta
- Android: 11
- Device: OnePlus 7T
- Channel: HydrogenOS 11 Public Beta
- Android: 11
We shall continue to keep an eye on this story and update as and when we get more info. Perhaps the biggest takeaway from this is that, the wheels are finally turning and development for Android 11 for the OnePlus 7 is picking up pace.
We have been following this development and the road to Android 11 for OnePlus 7 series of devices and you can check out our coverage of the same here.
With this, the OnePlus 7 series of devices join the OnePlus Nord whose Open Beta 1 is already out and is well on its way to a stable release. OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T owners, sit tight.
Update 1 (January 20)
IST 11:30am New reports from users running this public beta build now indicate that the build is missing Always-on-Display functionality. This is allegedly going to be added back in the stable build. More on that here.
Update 2 (January 28)
IST 12:18 pm: OnePlus is running a survey aimed at getting user-feedback on the Android 11-based HydrogenOS 11 Open Beta 1 builds on OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7T devices. More on that here.
Update 3 (February 08)
IST 10:50 am: Oneplus has released the HydrogenOS Open Beta 2 for the OnePlus 7 series in China. It brings a host of fixes and optimizations and even enables the Always on Display (AOD) function. Here’s the changelog for the update:
• Optimize the sliding effect of the live wallpaper
• Improve power consumption performance in some scenarios
• Optimize the adjustment rate of automatic brightness to bring a better look and feel
• Fix the problem that the connection adapter cannot charge and use the headset at the same time
• Fix the problem that the battery icon is not displayed in the status bar
• Fix the problem that the setting does not display “tips and help”
• Fix the problem that NetEase Cloud Music has a small probability of crashing
• Fix the problem that the camera may crash after unlocking the screen in professional mode
• Fix the problem that the ringing of the QQ phone may be interrupted when the Bluetooth headset is connected
Information screen display
• OnePlus 7 Pro newly supports the function of constant light on the screen display, setting path: Settings- OnePlus Labs-the screen display is always bright
• OnePlus 7 will support the constant light function of the screen display in subsequent versions
Tip: Turn on the constant light function of the screen display , it will cause more extra power consumption. We will continue to optimize the experience
Update 4 (February 28)
02:40 pm (IST): Going by the latest reports, the Hydrogen OS Open Beta 3 appears to have gone live at least for the OnePlus 7 Pro and OnePlus 7T Pro devices. That means the OxygenOS beta 3 shouldn’t be far. Here’s what the changelog states:
• Improved the game vibration experience of the Peace Elite
• Improved the problem of slow charging speed in some cases
• Optimized the stability of the three-party software such as King Glory, and improved the user experience
• Fixed the use of Douyu full-screen playback when the status bar notification will block part of the problem of function keys
• after repair system upgrade, voice wake-up function is turned off questions
• fix the problem Caton playing screen recording files
• fix double-click the bright screen small probability of failure problems
• repair Bluetooth When the transmission protocol is changed to AptX, there is a silent problem.
• Improve the stability of Wi-Fi connection and reduce the disconnection.
05:59 pm (IST): OnePlus has rolled out OxygenOS 11 Open Beta 3 for OnePlus 7 Pro and OnePlus 7T devices with OnePlus 7 see to get its build soon. More on that here.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.