Motorola Moto Z3 Play Android 10 arrives as unofficial LineageOS 17; Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite get LineageOS 17.1 support
Being an open-source platform, Android gives flexibility to the developers to develop custom ROMs that are sometimes even better in terms of features and performance.
They not only bring new features, but also has certain changes in the design elements that users can install on their phones to give their devices a new appearance.
And talking about Android custom ROMs, one of the best and most popular ROMs LineageOS (previously known as Cyanogenmod) has extended its support for two more devices.
Notably, Motorola Moto Z3 Play and Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite get the unofficial LineageOS 17.1 support which is based on Android 10. Let us take a look at the installation of LineageOS 17.1 on both the devices, one by one:
Motorola Moto Z3 Play
Moto Z3 Play units have recently picked up the January patchset sadly, based on Android 9 Pie. Talking about the Android 10 availability for the Moto Z3 Play, it is still under speculations.
However, thanks to LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM, users can install the Android 10 on their devices. Thanks to developer Jleeblanch, for creating this unofficial ROM for the Moto Z3 Play.
If you are also interested in installing this custom ROM on your device, follow the guide below:
– LineageOS 17.1 for Moto Z3 Play
1. Extract the ZIP file that is the Lineage OS ROM image, which will produce payload.bin, among other things.
2. Use extract_android_ota_payload.py to extract payload.bin, producing system.img, vendor.img, and boot.img.
3. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to//fastboot –slot a flash system ~/path/to/lineage/payload/system.img
4. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to//fastboot –slot b flash system ~/path/to/lineage/payload/system.img
5. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to//fastboot –slot a flash vendor ~/path/to/lineage/payload/vendor.img
6. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to//fastboot –slot b flash vendor ~/path/to/lineage/payload/vendor.img
7. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to//fastboot –slot a flash boot ~/path/to/lineage/payload/boot.img
8. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to//fastboot –slot b flash boot ~/path/to/lineage/payload/boot.img
9. $ ~/path/to/fastboot reboot bootloader && ~/path/to/fastboot boot ~/path/to/twrp-3.1.1-0-beckham.bin
10. Use TWRP to wipe cache and userdata.
11. Reboot into LineageOS.
Note that the installation of LineageOS 17.1 on Moto Z3 Play is slightly different from other installations.
Here you need to extract the payload.bin file into system.img, vendor.img, and boot.img and flash them separately. And you also need to use the latest ADB and Fastboot platform tools in order for this installation to work on your device.
Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite
Although Xiaomi has already released the Android 10 update for the Mi 9 Lite, users who wish to enjoy the stock Android experience on their Mi 9Lite can install the LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM.
This version of the unofficial LineageOS 17.1 ROM has been developed by XDA recognized developer, coderzs. Follow the instructions below to install the LineageOS ROM on your phone:
1. Download and flash last firmware
2. Download the latest build and bitgapps
3. Boot to recovery
4. Do FACTORY RESET
5. Flash the latest build
6. Boot to recovery again
7. Flash gapps
Readers should note that before flashing the unofficial LineageOS 17.1 on either of the phones, make sure that you have taken a complete backup of your data and you have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.