Redmi 8 Android 10 update arrives as unofficial LineageOS 17.1; HTC 10 also gets Android Q support
Although Xiaomi has picked up its pace and is ticking off phones from the list of devices that are upgraded to Android 10, the complete rollout is not yet achieved. One of the devices that is waiting for the Android 10 update is the Redmi 8.
Yesterday, we have documented a post, whereas per a tweet, the Android 10 update was under testing for the Redmi 8 units and soon will be made available for the users. Matter of fact, the Redmi 8 has recently been updated to the February 2020 patchset.
So, while the official Android 10 OTA is still in the waiting, users can get the experience of Android 10 by installing the unofficial LineageOS 17.1 update on their units.
Thanks to XDA senior member, J0SH1X, users can now enjoy the features of Android 10 on their Redmi 8. You can grab the unofficial Lineageos 17.1 package file from below:
And if you are interested in installing the LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM on your Redmi 8 then you should have an unlocked bootloader, as well as a custom recovery like TWRP, installed on your phone.
Once that is done, you can follow the guide (as mentioned by Cyanogenmods.org), below for fresh installation:
1. Boot into the TWRP Recovery to install this Redmi 8 LineageOS 17.1 Android 10 based custom ROM.
2. Wipe the data partition, Cache partition, vendor partition and system partition.
3. ADB Sideload the LineageOS 17.1 zip file for Redmi 8.
4. Once done, reboot into the TWRP recovery again.
5. Reboot and Enjoy the Android 10 based LineageOS 17.1 for Redmi 8.
Another device, but this time from HTC 10, is getting the Android 10 support via the LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM. Thanks to XDA senior member, fagyi for developing this ROM for the users of HTC 10.
To recall, the HTC 10 was launched back in 2016 and it was off the radar to get the Android 10 update. But thanks to the open-source nature of Android OS, users who are still holding onto their HTC 10 units, can experience Android 10 on their devices.
Follow the guide below for installing the LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM on HTC 10:
Note: Take a backup first from your actual system!
1. Before instaling, make sure you are running the latest Oreo firmware from the latest HTC Sense.
2. If you are encrypted but running an AOSP ROM then you’re fine. If you come from Sense, take a full backup of all your data, boot into TWRP and format data (the option which requires you to type “yes”) and clean flash accordingly. This is due to encryption changes. Do not skip this step or you will be locked out of your system by a password prompt.
3. If you are coming from any other ROM wiping /system & /data is strongly recommended
4. Download the latest build and GApps (both links are below).
5. Reboot to TWRP.
6. Flash the latest build and magisk ( optional ) after make one reboot.
7. When system is booted, reboot to TWRP and flash gapps
8. Reboot and enjoy (as much as currently possible)
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.