[Global release] OnePlus 7 (Pro) Android Q Developer Preview 2 goes live in China
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
Google is trying hard to reduce the fragmentation of Android updates. One of the initiatives in this direction is the inclusion of several OEMs (including small regional ones) in the public beta testing of the upcoming Android Q.
OnePlus is taking the pole position among these companies, as they have included the second maximum number of devices (4) after Google (8) in this early adoption cum testing program.
As a matter of fact, the Shenzhen based OEM released the second developer preview of Android Q for the OnePlus 6 & 6T yesterday. The update was not immediately available for the OnePlus 7 series, but they rolled it out in China before the global release.
As always, the beta build is still not ready for being a daily driver. The officially acknowledged list of bugs is as follows (translated from Chinese):
1. The reading mode function cannot be used
2. Display mode cannot be used
3. The verification window cannot be ejected in the WIFI anonymous connection
4. There is a low probability stability problem
5. The default browser has a crash problem
The second developer preview of Android Q for OnePlus 7 series was compiled on May 31 and it contains May 5, 2019 security patch level. A slightly updated stock camera is included (v3.3.10) as well. We have submitted the APK on APKMirror, which should be available soon.
As mentioned by OnePlus, the lack of stability in normal usage is pretty much noticeable. We experienced UI freezing, lock down with black screens and lags a number of times, but it is expected from a beta quality software.
OnePlus has already incorporated various OxygenOS/HydrogenOS bits on top of the vanilla Android Q. Hopefully they won’t take too much time to rollout the OTA updates after the stable release.
The download links of the update packages are listed in the following segment. Note that these packages will wipe your data (including internal storage) whether you are running the stable Pie build or the first developer preview of Android Q, so proceed with caution.
- Android Q DP2 for OnePlus 7 (based on HydrogenOS): Download
- Android Q DP2 for OnePlus 7 Pro (based on HydrogenOS): Download
The flashing procedure is same as regular OxygenOS updates:
1. Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from the specified server.
2. Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
4. After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
5. Phone will boot into recovery mode to format user data, it will reboot again after formatting.
6. Update successful.
Users can easily revert back to stable Android Pie using the following rollback zips:
- Rollback package for OnePlus 7: HydrogenOS / OxygenOS
- Rollback package for OnePlus 7 Pro: HydrogenOS / OxygenOS
There is no announcement regarding OxygenOS based DP2 for the global OnePlus 7 series yet. Nonetheless, we will update this article once it is available.
Update (June 20)
OnePlus has released the second Developer Preview of Android Q for the OnePlus 7 Series. The new builds are based on OxygenOS. Read on to know more.
PiunikaWeb is a unique initiative that mainly focuses on investigative journalism. This means we do a lot of hard work to come up with news stories that are either ‘exclusive,’ ‘breaking,’ or ‘curated’ in nature. Perhaps that’s the reason our work has been picked by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and more. Do take a tour of our website to get a feel of our work. And if you like what we do, stay connected with us on Twitter (@PiunikaWeb) and other social media channels to receive timely updates on stories we publish.