[Updated] New Asus ROG phone update fixes bucketload of issues, but still no Android Pie 9.0
This story is being continuously updated….new updates are being added at the bottom…..
Just last year, Taiwanese OEM ASUS debuted their gaming smartphone series with ROG (Republic of Gamers) Phone, the sequel for which – Rog Phone 2 – is due to be launched sometime during third quarter of this year.
ROG Phone, the company’s first gaming-centric flagship device is powered by Snapdragon 845 chipset. The phone comes with Android 8.1 Oreo (upgradable to Android 9.0 Pie) along with ASUS’ skin dubbed ROG Gaming X UI out of the box.
With a console-inspired design, this gaming smartphone also integrates a game cool system to avoid overheating while gaming and many other features to give gamers a smooth and level up experience.
But as is usually the case with smartphones, this one is also plagued with multiple problems, some of which we highlighted in one of our recent coverages. Device owners have reported problems like FPS counter not working while gaming and displaying a big fat zero instead, as can be seen below.
Other problems like messed up perspective control/mouse settings while connecting to Mobile Desktop Dock , Mobile Manager throwing error on accessing Battery Care and System UI restarting on clearing background data have also been troubling ROG Phone users.
Regarding all the above mentioned issues, ASUS informed the complainants the problem will be fixed in a future/upcoming firmware update (FOTA). And looks like the company lived up to their word and delivered the promised update.
Just yesterday, ASUS pushed a new FOTA, bearing build number 15.1630.1903.89 that addresses the issues we highlighted along with a whole lot of other issues that hardly made it to headlines. The update carries March security patch, but Pie is still nowhere to be seen. Update release notes say:
Updated Android security patch to 2019/03/01
As per the official release notes, the FOTA will be rolled out in batches and may take time to reach out to all ROG Phone devices (ZS600KL). Coming to what all issues have been fixed in the update, well the list is long. So let’s get started. Here’s what the change log says
- Fixed Game Genie and Gamevice controller crash issue.
- Fixed the mouse issue when using KeyMapping in Professional Dock.
- Fixed the issue that the sound volume was small while answering Line call or phone call via bluetooth headset (LYEJ02LM).
- Fixed the issue that tapping a notification on lock screen led to home screen instead of the app.
- Fixed the crash issue of “交管12123”.
- Fixed the issue that game video could not be recorded when using gamevice controller with earphone.
- Fixed the issue that FPS count was incorrect when playing “War Robots”.
- Fixed the issue that “Between” notifications could not be received after the app was cleaned.
- Fixed the issue that the system did not respond after closing apps in the recent apps screen.
- Fixed the issue that “麥當勞報報” notification could not be received after the app was cleaned.
- Fixed the call issue caused by answering call in game and then exiting.
- Fixed the hanging issue of PUBG in Mobile Deskto Dock.
- Fixed the issue that Aura light did not work after undocking from AeroActive Cooler.
- Fixed the issue that ProtonVPN disconnected after the app was cleaned.
- Fixed Mobile Manager crash issue.
That’s too many fixes, isn’t it? Looks like with a single update ASUS aimed at resolving majority problems reported by ROG Phone users all this time. Hope you aren’t left with any though 😉.
Here is the complete update release note:
Moving on, apart from ASUS ROG Phone, a minor update for Zenfone 5Z has also been pushed recently. But unlike ROG Phone, the update on ZenFone 5Z (ZS620KL) brings in the newer security update i.e. April patch, but still not the latest on.
As per the change log, the update improves sound quality as well as device’s startup speed. And this will also be pushed out in batches, so may take time to land on all ZenFone 5Z units.
Here is the complete update release note:
Happy updating. Oh and yes, just in case the updates breaks any existing functionality or trigger a new issue, feel free to reach out and let us know.
Update 1 (May 21)
A new minor update bearing build number 15.1630.1903.90 has now been rolled out for ROG Phone. The changelog doesn’t specify any additions other than changed update version.
P.S. Those of you interested in reading more ASUS-related news and stories can head here.
PiunikaWeb is a unique initiative that mainly focuses on investigative journalism. This means we do a lot of hard work to come up with news stories that are either ‘exclusive,’ ‘breaking,’ or ‘curated’ in nature. Perhaps that’s the reason our work has been picked by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and more. Do take a tour of our website to get a feel of our work. And if you like what we do, stay connected with us on Twitter (@PiunikaWeb) and other social media channels to receive timely updates on stories we publish.