After the recent Patch 4, players are reporting a massive influx of crash, lag, and freezing-related issues in Baldur’s Gate 3 Act 3. Act 3 of Baldur’s Gate 3 is already the most graphically heavy chapter of the game, and with tweaks in Patch 4, the chapter is experiencing increased performance issues.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Act 3 lagging issues following Patch 4
Larian Studio’s Baldur’s Gate 3 is already deemed by many as one of the best games to come out this year. Its vast possibilities and overwhelming number of choices make the game a revolution in the genre.
Although the studio is very active and issues patches and fixes very often, there are still some issues that remain. According to reports following the latest patch, new issues are arising.
After the release of Patch 4 for Baldur’s Gate 3, there have been reports of crashing and freezing issues, as well as other technical problems. The patch was intended to make over 1,000 fixes, tweaks, and changes to the game, but it seems to have introduced new issues for some players.
The reports claim that following the patch, Act 3 of the game is becoming riddled with stuttering issues, FPS drops, delays, and various performance problems. Act 3 of the game focuses on the climax of the story and introduces the titular city of Baldur’s Gate.
But due to the issues, players can’t experience the city to its fullest. Other than the performance issues, players are also reporting new character animations, especially Asterion’s kiss animation, which is also bugged.
Workarounds for the performance issues
If you are experiencing crashing and freezing issues after installing Patch 4, here are some potential solutions based on player reports:
- Remove Certain Patch Files: Some players have reported success by removing specific patch files. For example, one user suggested removing Patch1.pak, Patch0_Hotfix3.pak, and Patch0_Hotfix4.pak from the game’s directory.
- Update Graphics Drivers: Running outdated graphics drivers can cause crashes. Ensure that your GPU drivers are up to date to eliminate potential issues.
- Disable Mods: If you have mods installed, especially any UI-related ones, try removing them to see if it resolves the crashing issues.
- Start the Game Directly from the Game’s Directory: Try exiting out of the Steam client and starting the game directly from the game’s directory by running the executable as an administrator.
- Roll Back to Patch 3: Some players have resorted to rolling back to Patch 3 to avoid the issues introduced in Patch 4.
- Use FSR 2.2: Using the FSR 2.2 ‘performance’ option can help decrease the lag.
If all the methods don’t work, players can use the script modification mentioned in the Reddit post above. However, manipulating the script can have severe effects, which is why we recommend using it only if absolutely necessary.
Note: We have more such stories in our dedicated gaming section, so be sure to follow them as well.
Feature image source: baldursgate3.com