New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….

Original story (published on October 18, 2022) follows:

Google Pixel Watch has been the talk of the tech town ever since its release. The special mention goes to the relationship that it shares with Fitbit.

It comes with integrated fitness tracking algorithms deployed by Fitbit that are both extensive and accurate.

Users also opt for the Fitbit premium subscription that opens an arena filled with even deeper health-related insights.


Pixel Watch users want Fitbit Premium paywall removed

Google Pixel Watch comes with free 6-months of Fitbit Premium which offers exclusive and more advanced features to its users. Do note that users will need to pay for it after the free trial ends.

Owing to this, some users are disappointed with the Fitbit Premium paywall as they feel that the fitness tracking app, Fitbit is charging them for something that should otherwise be accessible for free.

Pixel Watch users are now asking Google to remove the Fitbit Premium paywall due to its locked features.

Pixel Watch users want Fitbit Premium paywall removed

The biggest downside in my opinion is the software and how there is a paywall behind Fitbit premium which should be free in the fist place. Some of the features will be turned off after 6 months passes. Never realized I have to pay subscription in order to fully use a Watch

The watch seems interesting! I like the partnership with Fitbit, but I don’t like the paywall for the more features

The fact that even the most basic features like the support for automatic workout detection are missing, makes up for a ridiculous stance for Fitbit to have a subscription plan.

Allegedly, some of the locked features in the Pixel Watch are accessible in Apple or Samsung watches for free.

We have added a couple of screenshots below displaying the features that come with subscription and without a subscription respectively.

Source (Click/tap to view)
Google-pixel -watch-fitbit-subscription
Source (Click/tap to view)

So far, Google hasn’t really acknowledged the issue.

On the brighter side, a Redditor in their blog says that Pixel Watch users can get their hands on some of the apps soon after updating the Google Play store.

PSA: when you get your watch, a) update the firmware; b) update the Google Play store apps. I discovered I had 16 apps waiting patiently to be updated: the Google Play update even adds a new ECG app.

Having said that, it’ll be interesting to know your opinion on this matter. As for the poll below, the results will be shared after a week:

Note: You can also check out our Google Pixel Watch update and bug/issue tracker for more related coverage.

Update 1 (October 18, 2022)

07:01 pm (IST): Poll results are out and majority of our readers (97.6%) say that they won’t pay for Fitbit Premium on Pixel Watch for some extra features. The rest 2.4% think they can.

In case you’ve missed our poll, you can still share your thoughts on the matter in the comments below.

Update 2 (Novemeber 15, 2022)

02:02 pm (IST): Google has released a new update for Pixel Watch app that includes improvements for Fitbit experiences and integration.

Featured and inline image source: Google

PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.

Riya Madaan
868 Posts

Weaving a little bit of life into the articles I write. No, not really! That's not really possible for a trash writer like me but I still try. Apart from it, I skate, meditate and medicate. Also keep myself away from troubles as I age.

Next article View Article

Google Drive not letting users play videos, throws 'allowed playbacks has been exceeded' error

Google Drive users have been dealing with an issue for years where they get an 'allowed playbacks has been exceeded' error when trying to play videos. And Google has still...
Feb 20, 2024 2 Min Read