[Updated] Destiny 2 'Empty Grief' challenge not working or bugged? Try this potential solution
Here’s the crux of the article in video form:
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
Original story (published on June 22, 2022) follows:
Destiny 2 is one of the few games that has managed to top Steamcharts ever since it was released as a free to play title back in 2017.
Developed by the now Sony-owned video game studio Bungie, the online multiplayer first-person has had four major expansions with the latest one being The Witch Queen, which had more than 1 million pre-orders.
Some even tried completing the challenge using different loadouts based on the explanation but that did not help. Here are some reports from Destiny 2 players for whom the Empty Grief challenge is bugged.
Hey guy I wanted to do the new weekly challenge for this week called empty grief it said complete “server – Grief using a void subclass and void, kinetic or statis weapons. Now I’m currtenlty using sentinel with a fatebringer, telesto and a red herring all void weapons and a void subclass I completed the mission but it didn’t complete my season challenge. Is this glitched or did I do something wrong has anyone completed this challenge yet?
I have tried to complete this weeks seasonal challenge “Empty grief” twice now. This challenge states that you need to do the sever grief with a void subclass and you need void, kinetic or stasis weapons. I have used the following loadouts to try to complete this. Void warlock with thoughtless, funnelweb and other half and void warlock with arbilest, funnelweb and other half. But it has not completed for me. Anyone a idea as to why? I have checked if it was the right mission twice and it was so that cannot be it
It seems like Bungie is still unaware of the problem, as we are yet to come across any official word on the matter.
Thankfully, we found a potential workaround that might help players complete the bugged challenge. Many say not picking up the scythe did the trick for them.
Don’t pick up the scythe if you’re trying to complete “Empty Grief” challenge this week. It will not count your completion.
We hope Destiny 2 developers take a look at the bugged Empty Grief challenge and fix it at the earliest. When they do, we will let you know so make sure you stay tuned.
Update 1 (June 23)
04:20 pm (IST): Here’s a workaround suggested by a Redditor that might help you resolve this issue. You can check it below and see if it helps.
Edit: Adding some notes from the comments 1. Firefly, and other non-void non-kinetic/stasis damage seems to block it too. It looks like it evaluates damage type dealt to determine what’s used. 2. You can kill things with the wrench. Thanks for the awards and additional feedback everyone has been sharing. Hope this saved a few people from making my mistake. (Source)
Update 2 (June 24)
01:02 pm (IST): Some users noted that Scycth is causing the Empty Grief challenge not to trigger. Apparently, this is not the only weapon causing this issue.
The Witherhoard is also having the same effect. To avoid this bug, it is recommended that players use generic kinetic and make sure that equipped weapons do not have AOE effects.
What others said about sycth. Also witherhoard seems to be causing problems for some people too. Just go with a generic kinetic and make sure not of your weapons have AOE effects. (Source)
Update 3 (June 27)
10:52 am (IST): Some players have suggested those weapons that might help you complete the Empty Grief challenge without any issues. You can check them out below.
– Do not use the Dreaded Blade Scythe. It is a solar weapon and negates the challenge. I used Void-lock, Heart Shadow, void fusion from GoS and the nightmare kinetic auto rifle and it worked just fine for me. (Source)
– Could be. My run was ruined by explosive rounds & firefly Fatebringer. Ran Heritage, Judgement (Void side arm) and corrective measure after that and it seemed to work. (Source)
– Worked for me with Tears of Contrition, Gnawing Hunger and Palmyra with lasting impression on a Voidwalker. No Scythe. Tried to run something that did not have any additional things like firefly, dragonfly, explosive or anything that could fuck it up (Source)
– Worked for me earlier. Did Voidwalker, Witherhoard, Funnleweb, and Threaded Needle. Got it right after. (Source)
– I was able to complete the challenge successfully. I ran it with on a Nightstalker Hunter with the Funnelweb Void SMG, Reckless Endangerment Kinetic shotgun, and Bump In The Night Stasis rocket launcher. I accidentally exploded a solar censer from a Scorn. I did not use the scythes. Make sure you open the chest even if you have no Bound Presence. (Source)
Update 4 (June 28)
05:05 pm (IST): Bungie is set to release the Hotfix 220.127.116.11 for Destiny 2 today. However, there is no confirmation if it will include a fix for the Empty Grief challenge issue.
Note: We have more such stories in our dedicated Gaming section so be sure to follow them as well.
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.