[Updated] Samsung Galaxy Tab S7, Tab S6, Galaxy Foldable, Galaxy A71, A51, & more Galaxy A series devices guaranteed 3 Android OS updates
This story is being continuously updated…. New updates are being added at the bottom…..
Original story (published on August 18, 2020) follows:
With the announcement of three Android OS updates for the recently revealed Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series, the OEM set high hopes for its consumers across the globe. We also reported that Samsung was reviewing devices in the Galaxy A series for its three OS updates policy.
However, the Samsung representative clearly indicated that low-end devices from the Galaxy A series might not be eligible to receive three Android OS updates because of hardware and resource limitations.
Now, it seems that the OEM has officially announced some devices from the Galaxy A series that will get three Android OS updates. The information comes from the official Samsung Newsroom site where numerous devices from the Galaxy A series have been listed by the OEM.
Samsung Electronics reinforced its commitment to offering the best mobile experiences possible for Galaxy users by supporting for three generations of Android operating system (OS) upgrades on millions of Galaxy devices.
As mentioned earlier by the Samsung executive, the OEM is currently planning to give the three OS update support only to the high-end devices in the Galaxy A series. The current lineup includes the Samsung Galaxy A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, and A90 5G.
Also, it is mentioned that select upcoming devices in the Galaxy A series will also be eligible to receive three major OS updates. This means that the software development teams at Samsung are all set to deliver newer software to more devices.
The select Galaxy A series devices join the top-end Galaxy Note, Galaxy S, Galaxy Foldable, and Galaxy Tab S series. Below is the full list as shared by Samsung:
- Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices
- Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices
- Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices
- Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices
- Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices
While it is good to see that the OEM is extending its software support, we hope Samsung also strives to deliver newer OS updates to its older devices. Meanwhile, you can check out our Samsung Android 11 (One UI 3.0) update tracker as the update is already being tested on the Galaxy S20 series.
Update 1 (September 24)
Samsung has announced that it will be providing up to three major OS updates for the newly launched Galaxy S20 Fan Edition too. This means the device will get the One UI 3.0 update based on Android 11 and two other major updates presumably One UI 4.0 and One UI 5.0.
Update 02 (February 08)
01:47 pm (IST): Samsung is yet again planning to extend the software support for its select devices.
According to the latest leak, a handful of Galaxy devices may receive four years of Android OS upgrades and five years of security patches. These devices include:
– Galaxy S21 series, Galaxy S21 FE, Galaxy S22 series, Galaxy Tab S8 lineup, Galaxy Z Flip 3, and Galaxy Fold 3 (Source)
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.