New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….

Original story (published on August 12, 2021) follows:

Google is working on bringing huge changes to the Android ecosystem with Android 12.

Nonetheless, Google brought a lot of new features to the platform, it also took some of the existing features that make the OS popular amongst mobile users.

The company recently announced that the theme customization features available in Android 10 and Android 11 will be replaced by the new theme engine known as ‘Material You.’

Click/tap to enlarge image

Naturally, people weren’t happy with the changes to the theme engine that came with the release of Android 12 Beta 3.

As if that wasn’t enough to disappoint Android enthusiasts, Google has now decided to remove another useful feature used by millions every day.

The Android 12 Beta 4 no longer allows users to tap the time on the status bar to launch the clock app.


It is a quite nifty feature that lets you easily launch the clock app even if you are using an app.

We are really wondering why Google decided to disable something as useful as this in the first place. It is things like these why Android is popular in the first place.

People are already requesting Google to bring back the ability to tap time on the status bar on the Android 12 issue tracker.


We hope Google listens to the user feedback and brings the shortcut back in a future version of Android 12.

Our opinion is that Google should really stop changing things that already work and focus on improving other aspects of the operating system.

That said, do you think Google should bring back the ability to launch the clock app by simply tapping the time on the status bar in a future Android 12 release?

Let us know what you think by voting in the poll or the comment section below! The article will be updated after a week with the poll results.

Update 1 (August 19)

The results of the poll are now out. Around 82% of people who participated in the poll think that Android 12 should bring back the clock app shortcut on the status bar. The other 18% said they like the new changes made by Google.

In case you missed the poll, you can still share your thoughts by leaving a comment at the bottom of this page.

Update 2 (December 16)

Users have been complaining about an issue where clock in notifications no longer opens the alarm. However, the issue was acknowledged and the support says it’s an intended behavior that won’t fix.

Thanks for the tip: Campbell McGuiness

Note: We have more such stories in our dedicated Google Section so be sure to follow them as well.

Featured image source: Google

PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.

Anurag Chawake
1373 Posts

My fascination with technology and computers goes back to the days of Windows XP. Since then, I have been tinkering with OS, mobile phones, and other things. When I am not working on anything, you will find me enjoying video games on some Discord server.

Next article View Article

[Updated] Instagram crashing on all Android phones, but there are workarounds

Here's the crux of the article in video form: New updates are being added at the bottom of this story……. Original story from (June 5, 2018) follows: We're...
Jul 10, 2023 6 Min Read