[Samsung support added] Transfer files from Android to Mac using OpenMTP app for macOS, the best Android File Transfer alternative
New updates are being added at the bottom of this story…….
Original story (published on January 27, 2020) follows:
Android has many great things and one of them is the ease of sharing/transferring files between the phone and a desktop PC or laptop via a USB cable. While this might sound as easy as ABC, it’s only true when using a Windows PC.
In the event that the desktop or laptop in question uses macOS, things won’t be quite as simple and straightforward.
Instead of the easy plug and play setup that you are used to with Windows devices, you must install an official solution provided by Google specifically for transferring files between Android and a MacBook or iMac. It’s an app called Android File Transfer.
Sure, it’s cool that Google has a working solution for owners of Android and Mac devices, but the problem is that it’s quite buggy, inconsistent at what it does, and the worst part is that transferring files larger than 4GB never works.
Enter the OpenMTP app, an advanced Android File Transfer application for macOS. With this app, the developer aims to address most, if not all shortcomings of the official Android File Transfer app for Mac.
OpenMTP brings a visually-appealing UI that is quite easy to use. It also identifies files stored on the device’s internal and external storage, if available. The best parts? You can now transfer files larger than 4GB and use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the UI.
Below is the full feature-set of the OpenMTP app.
– Plug and Play. No hassles, easy and instant connection.
– Connect via USB cable – Highest data transfer rates.
– Transfer multiple files which are larger than 4GB in one go.
– Select between Internal Memory and SD Card.
– Split pane views for both Local Computer and Android device.
– Drag ‘n Drop your files.
– Choose between Grid and List view.
– Use Keyboard Shortcuts to navigate through your files.
– Safe, Transparent and Open-Source.
– We don’t collect any personally identifiable information.
– It’s FREE and shall ALWAYS remain FREE!!
Unfortunately, you must have macOS v10.10 or higher installed in order for OpenMTP to work. Also, Samsung devices are not supported at the moment, but the developer says he’s working on that.
If interested in the OpenMTP app, you can download it from this link.
Update 1 (January 05)
10:45 am (IST): OpenMTP version 3.0 is here and it brings support for faster file transfer thanks to the new Kalam MTP kernel. However, the biggest addition to this update is the added support for all Samsung phones as well.
Check out the changelog below:
– New and Super performant Kalam MTP kernel
– Much awaited Samsung phone support
– 5-6x faster file copy speed
– Dark Theme mode
– New App logo
– Drag and Drop files from the macOS Finder window
– New file icons
– Overall progress on the file transfer screen
– New ‘Show directories first’ option
– New ‘Single pane mode’ option
– New ‘Move the Local Disk pane to the right side’ option
– New ‘Auto device detection’ option
– Other UI optimisation and performance improvements
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.