HTC U11 Android 10 update available as unofficial LineageOS 17.1; Project Treble (Venom ROMs) also available
HTC was once a big brand, which succumbed to a lack of innovation and the addition of new products to its portfolio. The messed up software update situation around the HTC mobiles has not helped either.
The Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer is struggling to exist in the market. However, some piece of good news is available, as the users of the HTC U11 can now install the Android 10 on their phones.
Obviously not officially but, this time around it is the custom ROMs that have come to the rescue. Notably, the LineageOS 17.1 (unofficial) and Project Treble based Venom ROM based on Android 10 is now available for the HTC U11.
Now originally, the HTC U11 came with Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box. While you cannot expect Android 10 update from the OEM, custom ROMs are the way to go if you are still hanging onto the HTC U11 for that matter.
Let us take a look at both the custom ROMs, one by one:
Well, you might have probably heard of the LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM. It is the most popular custom ROMs out there and now, unofficially you can flash this Android 10-based ROM onto your HTC U11.
Before you head-on with the installation, here is the complete changelog of the latest update:
– May 2020 Security patch.
– Update opus omx codec ranking
– Enable ro.telephony.use_old_mnc_mcc_format
– Kill media.aac_51_output_enabled property
– power_profile: update for pie
– update props
– Last Lineage fixes
Once that is out of the way, make sure that you have taken a complete backup of your phone’s data to avoid data loss. Follow the instructions below for downloading the ROM and flashing it:
1. Firstly, download the TWRP recovery 220.127.116.11 and all the files mentioned above.
2. Reboot the HTC U11 to download mode and flash it: “fastboot flash recovery name_of_file.img”
3. You need to Wipe /system, /cache and /data (complete FORMAT /data if you’re having issues)
4. Now flash the LineageOS 17.1 ROM zip in TWRP.
5. Then you need to reboot to system.
6. You can install the latest magisk manager (optional) after rebooting your phone.
7. Once your phone is booted, reboot to TWRP and flash Gapps (optional).
8. Reboot your phone and check apps permissions
9. That’s it!
Venom ROM (Project Treble)
Thanks to the Venom Team for creating a dedicated partition for Project Treble and GSI for the HTC U11. And for that, if you decide to flash Venom ROM to your device, this ROM will re-partition your HTC U11 and format the internal storage.
As it creates a dedicated vendor partition for Project Treble and GSI support, it wil take up to 1 GB of space. And if you are intrigued for the installation of Venom ROM on your HTC U11, then follow the steps below:
1. Make sure to take a complete backup of the data.
2. You need an unlocked bootloader.
3. Now boot to TWRP.
4. Flash the HTC-U11-Trebelizer.zip file download from above from the recovery menu.
5. Then you need to flash HTC_U11_Treble_support_001_SINGLE_SIM.zip file or HTC_U11_Treble_support_001_DUAL_SIM.zip (which depends on your phone specs) from recovery menu.
6. Flash GSI Treble-A ROM
7. Reboot your device
8. That’s it!
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.