Sony Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2, XZ2 Premium & XZ2 Compact get TWRP support for Android 10
If you are a power user of Android, meaning rooting, unlocking the bootloader, installing custom ROMs is your thing then, you might have already heard of TWRP.
For those who don’t know, TWRP is a custom recovery that allows you to perform several actions on your phone. Apart from the ones mentioned above, you can flash modded apps, flash Xposed modules, take a complete backup of your phone, remove bloatware from your phone, etc.
Moreover, the TWRP recovery is pretty advanced and has a touch-based user interface, making it easier to navigate and negates the need of using the volume rocker and power button.
And now going by a recent report, the TWRP recovery based on Android 10 is now available unofficially for the Sony Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2, XZ2 Premium, and Xperia XZ2 Compact smartphones. PiunikaWeb readers should know that other set of Xperia phones, i.e. Xperia 10 and 10 Plus have the official TWRP support.
This move means that the owners of the Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2, XZ2 Premium & XZ2 Compact can go over and flash their favorite custom ROMs, modded files, tweak system settings, etc. with the help of TWRP.
However, note that being an unofficial version, it has some bugs, which is listed below, and you should probably take a look at it first, before using the TWRP recovery.
– The “fastboot boot twrp.img” doesn’t work, if you use the hardware buttons to open the blue fastboot bootloader mode. Only use adb, twrp or the android system to reboot into blue fastboot bootloader mode or flash the twrp.img, boot the device, reboot into bootloader and flash the original boot.img back, before booting into twrp.
– You can also “fastboot reboot bootloader” in the blue fastboot mode.
– This is a bootloader bug, maybe it gets fixed with the stock Q bootloader.
And if you are okay with the above bugs and still want to use this version of the TWRP recovery then, you can download the appropriate TWRP recovery for your Xperia XZ3, Xperia XZ2, XZ2 Premium & XZ2 Compact and follow the guide below for installation:
1. Update to newest stock firmware before unlocking!!!
2. Unzip the *.gz files with https://7-zip.org/ or Linux.
3. fastboot –disable-verity –disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
4. fastboot boot twrp.img
5. Want Root? -> Magisk
6. (Optional; Security degradation; Only if you know what you’re doing) Switch SELinux to permissive (with my permissive.zip)
Let us know in the comments below if you have used this TWRP on your Xperia device and faced any bugs or not?
PiunikaWeb started as purely an investigative tech journalism website with main focus on ‘breaking’ or ‘exclusive’ news. In no time, our stories got picked up by the likes of Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors, and many others. Want to know more about us? Head here.