[Updated] macOS 10.13.4 DisplayLink issues may take longer to get fixed
Update (May 12):
DisplayLink is suggesting the following workaround (using AirPlay) unless they fix what’s broken:
Meanwhile, we have an interim solution which enables one extended USB display (up to 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, using AirPlay®. Additional DisplayLink screens will be in cloned mode. DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 3 is available to download from our website today – https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=167
Ask users of DisplayLink-enabled devices what macOS 10.13.4 update (that was pushed out in March-end) did to them, for since its release they await a solution for the USB driver issue that rendered the dual display (or extended mode) output useless. What’s sad is that even the latest macOS security update has brought no good news.
When did it all start?
The matter was initially brought to light back in January, when macOS 10.13.4 was in beta phase. Since the problem didn’t get a fix then, reports became more widespread (1,2) when the same issue sneaked in the macOS 10.13.4 public release.
With the escalating number of complaints, came a statement from DisplayLink acknowledging the glitch, saying Apple has been notified about the problem.
The above mentioned statement came in the first week of April. However, the problem in question continues to persist (1,2,3) even in the recently updated version of macOS 10.13.4. Disappointed users when approached DisplayLink for an update on the matter, got to hear from Alban Rampon (USB Docking Product Manager at DisplayLink) yesterday:
DisplayLink has committed significant resources to finding a way to restore extended mode display support in a future release of macOS. We have made solid progress towards identifying a solution, however our team needs to complete more work before we can communicate a release plan for a driver that will restore extended mode displays.
Even vendors who sell devices with DisplayLink technology baked in have also started notifying users about this issue.
Meanwhile, over at the official Apple community, one of the experts recently suggested those affected to stick to versions below macOS 10.13.4, saying there’s no fix in near sight.
Apple is not going to include a change to the graphics subsystem in a security update. For Apple, a quick fix for even minor issues would be 10.13.5 or 10.13.6. Since that likely overlaps with 10.14, I suggest everyone who wants to use DisplayLink technology stay on Sierra until the fall.
To sum it up, while DisplayLink says they are working hard to resolve the issue, arrival of the fix may take time. On the other side, Apple hasn’t offered an official word on the matter yet. So there’s complete lack of clarity at the moment on exactly when the problem will be fixed, which means all you can do currently is wait.
Stay connected with us on Twitter (@PiunikaWeb) to hear about all related developments as and when they occur